Monday, July 11, 2011

A White Woman's Facepalm



Big racist facepalm goes to Michele Bachman this week.  The first bullet point in the marriage vow she signed for The Family Leader stated that “a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American President.”  Mrs. Bachman readily acknowledged that she had no knowledge of this statement.

This reminds me of the trips to Big Star Grocery with my grandmother as a child.  Each time an unsuspecting African American walked by I prayed my grandmother would behave herself.   There was never any such luck.  Inevitably some poor black woman would walk into that one spot my grandmother needed to be in and the ugly N- word came spilling out.  My heart would sink to my gut as I covered my face with both hands, begging God to strike me dead.

I’m starting to understand why WhitePeopleStink trended for so long on Twitter this year.   Slavery is a difficult thing to live down as it is, but to actually use it as a selling point makes white people look like an evil that just won’t stop.  First of all, families on a slavery auction block were usually broken up, never to see one another again.  Secondly, these African women were often used as sex slaves for their owners.   Thirdly, who in the name of all that is holy would feel it necessary to include the tragedy of slavery in a Marriage Vow?  How do you work that in?

There should be more outrage in this article, but the statements that Michele Bachman makes on a daily bases are in the end worse than the slavery statement she signed.  Take a look at this funny video and please don’t stop it until you hear her say, “We’re running out of rich people!” 



    

No comments:

Post a Comment